On Monday, I babysat two girls and their baby brother.
After an afternoon filled with messes and cheetos in the hair and sobs of wanting the toy someone else has,
I was exhausted. (Ok not really, those kids cracked me up) But I realized the moment I left the house how awesome it is babysitting. I go, take care, mess around, make lunch, mess around some more, and then I go home. The rest of the day, their mom has to take care of them.
So we partied lots this week. Lots and lots.
On Friday, I had a date with Jonathon, my favorite six-year-old whom needed some watching before getting on the bus for afternoon kindergarten. We frosted cupcakes for his mommy, we ate lunch, we snacked on some good frosting, and then he was off, to wow some more ladies at the school.
In the afternoon I worked on my car identifying skills with the cutest four year old there is. Hot-Wheels vs. Match box cars? Matthew thinks Hot-Wheels are the bomb-diggety. Srsly. And then we read Where the Wild Things Are and Matthew had a little rest from the adventures of the day.
That Night, I went to play with my favorite girlfriends. We watched Mary Poppins and ate some gold fish. Baby Jackson was just as happy as ever crawling around and sucking anything he could find. Poor Liv fell asleep rather early and just as Jackson was headed off to the bedroom for the night, Liv woke up.
Two things happen when kids wake up and their parents aren't home. They either have something terribly wrong with them, or they want their mommy. Liv however, was both. In between sobs and throwing up she cried for her mom, who was out for the night. The rest of the night goes as follows; Liv being sick and the two of us watching Cheaper by the Dozen and Space Buddies until the folks got home.
Let's be serious here. How come when boys and girls are home with a babysitter, they call out for mommy? It's never daddy. In all of my years of babysitting, "daddy" was never cried at the top of their lungs in between sobs. It's always mommy.
Why? Because Mommy is the one that reads to you whenever you want her to. Mommy makes dinner and lunch and sings when she feels like it and kisses your "oww-ees" goodbye. Mommy can make you laugh no matter what and holds your hair back as you toss your cookies into the toilet or trashcan. Mommy sleeps on pins and needles and is there for you the minute you need her.
I'm sure being a dad is awesome. But as I sat with Liv in my lap, watching Space Buddies, I thought of the day some child would sit with the sitter sobbing for me.
That's all for now.
p.s. I think being a mom is under-rated. In High School, had you asked me what I wanted to be, I'd say "oh a History Teacher" and then maybe under my breath add "and a mom" how come moms don't get credit? How come when women say they're a stay at home mom, people don't bow down before them? What the heck world!!
No comments:
Post a Comment