Saturday, September 03, 2011

to my piew

I have a best friend. 
Her name is Amanda (Man for short).
Man and I grew up together...more on that later. But because of this, we came up with many code words over the years. One of which is Piew, perfect in every way.
with this in mind, 

Dear Mr Piew,

There are many things you should know about me, but the one drilling a hole at the moment happened yesterday again.   
You see on most mornings, I am very good at remembering to turn off the water (in an attempt to keep it from leaking all day long). Yesterday I thought I had done so, but unfortunately I forgot all about the left in the  mad dash to the airport which is always emotional anyways. I didn't notice the leak until it was way out of proportion and rushing down my face. So here it is,

My left eye leaks.

It leaks when saying goodbye to my twelve year old brother, whom definitely will be a lot larger come December. It leaks when we drive out of the tunnel and see Portland for the last time. It leaks when my bags are 4 pounds over and I end up carrying a beach towel and scriptures through the airport. It leaks when I realize I've forgotten my phone charger and have no way of charging said phone as well.

But mostly, it leaks after seeing a boy not quite fifteen, huddled in a corner of the bus. His name was important of course, but now I've forgotten. He didn't have any money that was obvious. His hair could have been a good teenage do, had it been taken care of. He smelled and was too small for his growing frame. As we stopped in Twin, I couldn't help but notice he had no food. Just a bus ticket to a town his sister said she was. We shared a snickers bar and I gave him a Gatorade. He told me he'd been stuck in Boise for three months before being able to buy a ticket to Poke. 

And that's when both my left and right began to leak. And I just had to give him the buck or two I had. 

He got off in Poke, and boy I hope his sister was waiting for him. 
You're going to have to remind me to turn both eyes off completely in the mornings. 

yours always, mad

No comments:

Post a Comment