As we drove in Cali there was a moment in which we discussed the events that have taken place over the past ten years. How there are children alive today that don't understand why security is so strict at the airports. It is mind blowing that even my younger brothers probably don't remember anything from that day.
I was almost eleven.
It was early morning and I wasn't out of bed for school yet, but I remember.
There's something quite scary about your parents having the look of death on their faces. Normally, you look to your parents to realize it's going to be okay.
There was nothing about my mother's face that said it was going to be okay.
We were late for school that morning, most kids were. Later that day we had a moment of silence in the Elementary School. As we stood there quietly I remember being scared planes would attack us at any moment. I remember the magazines full of gruesome images. I remember my teacher crying in the middle of class and being so confused as to what this all meant. But mostly, I remember this photograph;
At eleven, this photo confused and bothered me. I didn't understand how one would make such a horrible decision in a moment like this. Now, some ten years later it still is the picture I think of when I think of that day. Pictures speak a thousand words, and yet this one seems to almost calm me. He looks as if he's accepted his fate. And in that hell of a day, this moment seems to be frozen in time.
Mad

No comments:
Post a Comment