Wednesday, April 18, 2012

how I knew I was going part one

The following series is merely for my own record. It'll probably be boring to you...and long. 


Right after Maria and Hek were baptized I came down with a severe case of sickness. I experienced a few pure miracles ( 1 , 2  , 3 ) and at the beginning of fall semester I unconsciously decided to move to Provo for the Winter semester. (I am fall/spring track in Rexburg). It was a pure whim because my best friend for all eternity (Man...duh), didn't have a roommate. And why not move to Provo and experience the college life there?? 

So on January 3, 2011 I packed all my stuff into 4 suitcases, two of which were "carry-ons" and I moved into Roman Gardens apartment complex in Provo, Utah. I had literally no money, and was banking on the fact I pay my tithing to get myself a job in a college town...of all full tithe payers...

Needless to say, by January 14th I had applied to every. single. place. in. Utah. Rent was due and I still had no job. So I sat down, prayed, and then took the phone book out and called every store at the University Mall in Orem. No joke, every store. Some said they would be hiring "soon" but only three actually told me to bring in resumes. One of which, was a store I had never heard of called "Mr. Mac". 

I printed three resumes on light pink cardstock, dressed like I was going to a business meeting, and took a bus to the mall on Monday, January 16th. I dropped off resumes at the other two places and finally got to Mr. Mac. I met with two of the managers and fell in love with the place. They told me they were looking at a few other people but they'd let me know.

Fast forward a week, I got the job.  I worked 5 days a week at a men's suit store just a few miles from the MTC. Which meant two things: boys coming in to buy missionary suits and me driving a white rapist van to the MTC to drop off donations and suits. 

For the next three/four months I went in and out of the MTC every day and learned all about men's fashions. The managers who hired me ended up being super awesome and to this day, it has been my very favorite place to work. The people were incredible, but more importantly than that, it was the work they were doing that impressed me. 


mad

No comments:

Post a Comment