Tuesday, May 01, 2012

TUESDAY, May 1, 2012

Hi Family,

Sorry for not writing until now (mid afternoon), this past week has been crazy! A little update: One of the Sisters went home this past weekend due to anxiety and stress issues. It was such an incredible experience to get to know her over the past few week. On Saturday afternoon she and I walked to the upper fields to "work out" instead, we ended up chatting about how she was doing and what was going on with her, she wasn't sure if she would be going home yet and so I was able to talk to her a bit. I was glad to show her that any problems she might have, she can and will get over.  Both her and her companion are FOR REAL the two most gracious girls I've met here yet.  Because she left, I now have a "solo" sister to be companions with! She is a solo as well, but Irma D and I hang out a lot and as such, we haven't had time to write until now. She's fabulous and it's been fun to have a half companion. All the Irma's leave for Portugal this next Tuesday however, and I will be the lone Sister of the zone. (We're getting 4 elders this week, no sisters) which means for AT LEAST one day I will be in the Ukrainian Sister's room (they don't speak English I don't think). Pray I get my visa! hahaha.

All in all however, this week has been fabulous. We had a great day last Wednesday- our teacher Irma O'Brien dared us to go the entire day speaking Portuguese. Eu fala portuguese muito muito mal, mas muito muito animada por todas dias! I didn't speak one word of English all day! Since then, my love for Elder W has grown and we are getting along much better. It wasn't ever his fault I've realized, the poor elder is just so shy and so not me that i was trying to make him me instead of loving him and all of his insecurities. On that note, Elder Larsen got his visa this past week and left with Elder Willets. So now it is officially just me and Elder W in our district, then my favorite elder, Elder L...he's like a younger Taoete, and then an Elder from Rigby that just talks about his girlfriend. The five of us are bound together because without us all we can't go anywhere. They're Hawaiian, Black and Hispanic and then I'm the token white person. We get along just great. Also, Elder W and I now officially just teach together....but I am not allowed to call him my companion, instead he is "my elder" and I am "his sister" and we teach together like an old couple. We've gotten use to each other now and we're finally getting down Portuguese enough that we understand each other, it's going great!!

One of our "investigators" (really our teacher, Brock Groesbeck) wasn't getting a lot of what we were saying and I taught him how to pray and he did it!!! As dumb as this sounds, it was a great moment that i could actually communicate using just Portuguese for an entire 10 minutes and he understood the jest of what i was saying.

On Thursday we started teaching with NO NOTES. I am loving it, and it's super hard but I feel like I can speak enough that it's okay I have no notes! Since the sister left Sunday afternoon, we had a Sister sleepover and put all the mattresses on the floor telling embarrassing stories and we of course, all ended up crying about how much we love each other....just like any other normal sleepover. hahaha.

Sunday was a special day, all of us are expected to write talks every week in Portuguese and then as they're on the stand they just announce your name and call you up. One of the zone leaders Sunday morning (Elder T from Melbourne) was like Sister Sackley you're going to talk! (in reality he has no idea who is going to talk and who isn't, he just likes teasing me) and I did get called to talk!!! I was so nervous and the minute they called me I was first, so I walked up and was like uh....ola......uh....and then I talked and it wasn't perfeito, but I did okay! Elder C had to speak after me and he did fairly well as well. After the meeting we were all shaking hands and Elder C accidentally put his arm out to give me a side hug. I jumped back a good foot and stuck my shaking hand out. In that moment I realized oh dear, I have become the awkward sister missionary. It was a fearsome moment to behold (name the movie).

Relief society is SO EMOTIONAL. It's like we're all not use to being around so much estrogen and then they put us all together and we WEEP! We had a testimony meeting and I bore my testimony very first (p.s. still waiting for Logan's response on both Book Of Mormon and his testimony).... I talked about how one of my very favorite people in the past three years has gone from being a non member, to member, to married in the temple. And how each of us is called of God to find people just like them. I also talked about how I was a solo sister and how thankful I was for the promise in my Patriarchal Blessing that i would "never feel alone" because I haven't and I am so fortunate for that.

After all of that, later at night we have movies we can go to last thing at night. I chose "the character of Christ" by David A. Bednar. He gave it Christmas this past year at the MTC. I don't think you can find it anywhere however, IT IS AWESOME. And it most definitely has changed my life. It was all about the natural man and how to put off the natural man, I thought of how it was Grandpa's favorite scripture...anyways, it was a great great devotional and I loved every moment.

On Monday we have "workshop" in which we learn about a characteristic we should be striving to achieve. This week was faith in Christ. Just a small clip of what i learned, from Elder Holland's talk:

"come to the edge" he said
"no we'll fall"
"come to the edge!" he said
"no, we'll fall"
"COME TO THE EDGE"
so we came to the edge
and he pushed us
and we flew.

How much in my life I have not wanted to go to the edge when in reality, it is precisely what and where I should be. I promise that the Lord will push you to your limits and that you really will fly when you go to the edge. Mission life is so unexpected and ever changing and so great. Harrah for Israel!!

This week on Wednesday the new Elders have what's called "first lessons" in which they all go to a room with an "investigator" in the room, some investigators are real, some aren't but they all are going off their real lives. More experienced elders and sisters come and start the lesson off and then they stop and all the new elders try to teach. Because the Sister left, I get to go with Sister D and be an experienced sister! Normally you can't and don't get this honor until you've been here 8 weeks....and they pick a very small number of people in the MTC...like 8....(shows how great those two Irma's are) so I'm excited I get to go do it!
Alright I better go, I'm sending letters tonight or tomorrow morning with a few more things... also yes I would love Tom's if that's okay. You can order them online and they will ship here....and I loved all the packages you keep sending! Thanks for them all, I love the dress, I'll try sending photos soon.

eu amo voce!!

Sister Mad

No comments:

Post a Comment