Tuesday, May 08, 2012

TUESDAY, May 8, 2012

.............and as of this moment, Sister Sackley is the one and only sister in the Provo MTC going Portuguese speaking. For at least a week....but it's looking like 2 weeks. This week is going to be LONG. I found out yesterday I can keep my residence hall room, new English speaking sisters come tomorrow so they will be moving in with me...at least no Ukrainians! Tonight I have to find a room to sleep in since i can't sleep alone, but tomorrow i get back to my old room and i get a bottom bunk which is a total win win. This was FOR SURE a blessing from above. I was so scared and worried about that. Anyways, I have 22 Elders that are taking care of me and so far, (the last 5 minutes) they've done very well. Right now I am with Elders W and I...and an Elder A. They had already checked emails for the day but they said they'd come with me anyways. I am forgetting everything I was going to say....
There is an Elder here named elder Laga (I'll send pictures this week) and he is the most chivalrous elder i have yet to meet. He stands when a Sister comes in the room, he opens doors, holds your purse, takes trays....the Elders call him "whipped" and the Sisters love him....pretty sure you can figure out who's opinion counts. As of Sunday the Elders started noticing how what he's doing is a good thing, and they all want to be like him now.

I had a solo Sister who was somewhat my companion, Irma D, but she wasn't a completely normal companion, we didn't do a lot together. We got four new elders this past week and I love them. they're going to Brazil and they look fresh from the womb. Babies I tell you. Babies.

Answers:  I got my Patriarchal Blessing at 16 because I wanted it. There was no real reason other than that, I just wanted to know what the Lord had in store for my life. It has been a HUGE blessing and I am so glad I got it when I did. It helped me through most of high school and then onto college and now, it's been such a help in my life.  The funny thing about the MTC is that you know these people for just a few weeks or months, and yet you are SO connected to them. Go out of your comfort zone, ask people to hang out with you. Sit by them at events. 

My clothes are great! A note for any future sister missionaries: things to buy: Tom's. and lots of skirts. Also, there are boxes on every floor of the residence hall called "give away" and it's anything sisters don't want. I have found some awesome comfy shoes i can wear to class, a blazer that fits me perfectly, and a skirt and blouse. Trust me when i say you DON'T need to pack hangers either. you will be up to your ears in hangers around here. My shoes are fabulous, the Elders think it's funny my stone colored ones are the same color as the cement...and the carpet in our room. hahahaha.

I got the cupcakes you sent! THANK YOU SO MUCH. My Elders loved two of them, and then I saved the rest for that night...turns out Sister Barthalomew, one of the counselors wives sent us cupcakes as well so we had a huge cupcake party, all of us Irma's. It was a happy night and we all ate way too much. None the less, totally worth it. on the food note, the food here is rank. I have been eating salads mostly. I am so not a fan of the food. blagh.

My Elders have been fabulous lately, the picking on was done by just a few and it would be comparable to how boys treat each other...I just was NOT feeling strong last week so i was quite upset when they tried teasing me. The language is slowing down for whatever reason...or so it feels. I don't feel like I've progressed a whole lot this past week but everyone says it comes in waves, so I'm not too worried. we watched a film this morning about the saints in Cabo Verde. IT'S SO AWESOME. We watched it with the subtitles covered up and not only did it make me cry, I UNDERSTOOD EVERYTHING THEY WERE SAYING. So I guess I'm not doing too horribly with the language.

On Sunday we had a devotional with a man who's name I have forgotten. He talked about one night where his children wanted to go to Olive Garden. He's Italian so he was a little frustrated his kids would go for food so not real. However they went and before their waitress took their orders, she picked up the menus. When they reminded her they hadn't ordered, she told them she would order for them. She then proceded to bring out a salad, just like olive garden salad and put it on each of their plates for them. She then said "it's beautiful salad, no?" (she's a 72 year old Italian woman). They agreed and ate salad. She then brought out the bread sticks and taught them how to eat them. Then more salad, and then the main course. Which he can't remember, but he can remember how she made them feel. And how passionate she was about her work. He then told us that since that night some years ago, they have gone back again and again to have a meal with this waitress. She makes them feel so special and they have realized she is a true friend. He even played us a voicemail he got from her after his daughter had died. It was a very thick Italian accent and very inaudible, however she offered her support and told the family she loved them with her whole heart. He then relayed how loving those you serve with your whole heart is so important to understanding them and the work. It was such a great story, I totally cried. and they Elders cried too.

Alright I have to go for now, I'll check my email around 5 tonight again so if you have anything write back fast!

Eu Amo Voçe com minha coração! (I love you with my whole heart,)
mad

No comments:

Post a Comment