Thursday, May 24, 2012

TUESDAY, May 22, 2012


Ola Amigos!
Can you send me the lyrics to "I'm leaving on a jet plane don't know when i'll be back again"?
We're doing laundry in the a.m. - thus I am awake extremely early. Alright you have till 9am to write me something really great...this week has had a lot of stories so I hope you do!

I'll write later, but just so I don't forget: I eat bagels for breakfast. I was in the bagel line the other day and talking to a Sister Turnbow when she says "are you by chance the Sister Sackley that is related to the Richards?" It threw me off way bad so we started talking and realized we were related!  I had no idea any cousins were in the MTC so it was quite funny to just randomly bump into her.  Her classroom is on my floor so i have seen her tons before we made the connection.

Also, Garrett I have fun with my zone, but I am the only one in my district. It's just me and my teachers for 6 hours of my day. Surprisingly enough, it's not horrible. But I am my own zone. okay I'll write in a bit-

Tcao!

(Later that morning)
 

This past Saturday, Elder Laga left for Arizona. (His visa hadn't come and so they reassigned him to AZ). So officially, I am one of three of the "oldest" in the zone. There is no word on the visa, however some elders just got theirs today so who knows. However, the other zone of elders waiting for visas to Brazil have a theory: The Consulate for all of our visas is a Mexican. He hates Brazilians and he hates his job even more. Because of this, he sits at his desk all day long grumbling and right before the day is over, his boss comes over and is all "CARLOS PICK SOME VISAS!" And then he half-heartedly thrusts his hand into the growing stack of visas and picks a few. Sometimes however, he goes on a date or has a good day, and when this occurs he does more than just one visa.

This story is not true, however the way the visas are coming it is definitely a possibility. There is no rhyme or reason to who gets their visa. However, I have finally smartened up and decided to be adopted into a district in the branch. The Elders that adopted me are going to Mozambique and Angola and no matter what, they are here at least a week after my departure date.
 On that note, this past week I was pretty sick. I was coughing and had a really bad sore throat and stuffy nose. I planned on sticking it out all week and then I ran into one of my branch presidency members and he told me I needed to get a blessing. I enlisted our zone leaders (who are in the Mozambique/Angola branch) and the whole district gave me a blessing. Elder M anointed oil and then Elder B gave me a blessing. He had never given a blessing before and as the sweet elders placed their hands on my head I could tell they were nervous (their hands were shaking). They gave me a short heart-felt blessing and the next morning I felt LOADS better. All that is left is a cough, if that.

Because I am the only sister in the zone, I have the privilege of never ever opening doors. I get in trouble if I go for the handle these days and I am starting to worry I'm going to be a snot come 3 weeks from now. I am with the Elders all day every day. They pick me up in the morning, walk me to class, walk me to meals, to lessons, to workshops and then home again. Sometimes one of them even carry my purse!   Because of this, I have totally grown accustomed to being around only Elders.
Sundays are a little harder because they have priesthood and I have to find a group of sisters who I can just hang out with for an hour. I found sisters going to the Baltics and we had a great conversation about all sorts of things. Needless to say, by the end of the hour we were all weeping and in each other's arms. As funny as it sounds, I had forgotten what it was like to be around just sisters! I had a weak moment as I wished desperately for a sister to come to the branch, especially at dinner that night as the Elders all talked about girls and girls from home and what sisters here are cute blah blah....I had "a sister moment" and ran to the bathroom to cry in pity for myself. (a woe is me moment). They noticed instantly and came looking for me. They immediately apologized and had a "coming to Jesus talk" as a zone and repented. Since then, all girl talk has ceased and it's going really well. I would never wish solo sisterhood on ANY sister. I can see why a lot of sisters have problems with it. But if someone had to be a solo, I would wish for them to have elders like mine. They are the best and I am so thankful for them.
(When I refer to "My Elders" I refer to the whole branch of elders. there are 17 of them TOTAL....which is extremely small for a branch....)
We had a guest speaker in Relief Society that talked all about the trials and hardships of life. I thought to myself of how hard a mission is. How much work. How tired I am every single moment. How ugly your clothes get SO FAST. It is indeed the hardest 18 months I have ever loved. Because that's how I feel. I just love it here. Even if the food is sick, nasty...and it is. for real. (on that note i eat a bagel or cereal for breakfast, a salad for lunch and then I put my fear factor face on for dinner...it's not always horrible but a lot of the time it is. The only good thing that comes out of the processed foods is the Rice Krispies treats...and I'm not even sure that counts as processed).
Because I make up my own branch, lately I have been teaching just by myself with the Spirit being my companion. This past Friday we finally found a Sister teacher who could come in and help me during my lessons. Her name is Sister Christensen and she is SO nice to have just to sit next to me while I teach. I totally understand why we teach in two's....I run out of things to say pretty fast in Portuguese!  I was talking to her yesterday and she was Mark Grether's teacher for the week he was here. (p.s. where in Brazil is Mark again? I can't remember.)
Funny things that happen in the MTC lately: My elders think it is the funniest thing to do the whistle from the Hunger Games while at meals. They do it probably three or four times and before you know it, someone on the other side of the cafeteria is doing it back to us. The other day they did it right before devotional and all of a sudden everyone was doing it. 
We also find the smallest things amusing. Someone got the plastic jumping frogs in the mail and left them out and so we all took them and played with them during lunch for a solid 20 minutes without getting bored.
The statue of two elders on bikes that everyone knows about? One is a Spanish speaking missionary and the other is a Portuguese missionary. There is a constant rivalry between the Spanish and the Portuguese speakers going on here. The latest is that the Portuguese biker is more attractive than the Spanish one (which he is...if metal could be attractive)
Random: My bunk bed roommate is Sister Johnson. She is Josh Ellis' cousin. It might be the funniest connection I have made since being here at the MTC.
This week we are expecting one Elder. His name is Elder Stacy and he is going to Brasilia, Brazil. We all feel so incredibly bad for him, because starting out with a district, then losing them is a lot better than starting out alone. He will always be the only one his teacher teaches for the next 9 weeks and I can't imagine how hard it would be to start out that way here. I have come to the realization that when the visa comes, it comes. I am totally game for being reassigned at this point....So stop praying for my visa, start praying for Elder Stacy's. We're hoping either way that he fits right in with us.
Alright that's all for now,
Love you all,
Mad

No comments:

Post a Comment