Monday, July 29, 2013

MONDAY- July 29, 2013


eat, pray, love.

Dear Friends, 

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT IS AUGUST? I seriously considered calling it quits on the blog for the last two months of the mission. We were in the bus driving back to Sete Lagoas on Friday and I was talking to Sister Alves about maybe just not writing home anymore until October...It isnt a whole lot of time right? She looked at me, and then out the window and then said ``Alright. dont write home. see how that one goes over``. and then made the ever famous ugh-noise that brasillians make. So you have sister alves to thank for me continuing to write. 

Also, this computer is especially annoying today and hard to type. and doesnt want to read my pindrive for photos. sorry, better luck next week for photos. 

In other news, its been a long time since i last told you about eating and praying and loving right? Let me give you three stories for the week:

eat
Yesterday as we sat down to eat lunch with my favorite family here in sete lagoas (think 7 kids, all their boyfriends and girlfriends, 2 dogs, 2 grandchildren, 4 chickens and a roof made of tin in the hot sun), I looked at the food we were about to eat. Keep in mind that as i was gazing at the food, i was excited about the feast-
chicken foot, rice, corn juice, tomatos, beans, tangerine, pumpkin,  weird green paste that turned out to be bomb.com, and beets. 
For dessert? sweetened cow foot. Please also note that I happily asked for seconds on both lunch and dessert.
...I am not sure if it is the mission and power of God that I like all of the above, or if my tastebuds have indeed moved mouths and been replaced by an old hobo. 

pray
We made the mistake this past week of knocking doors on the wrong side of the road. You know, a completely normal looking neighborhood, not even favela, and I hit the wrong door and teenage gangbuster opens up with a gun pointed at my feet and all. Turns out he didnt want a lesson about God...but his cheif´s wife did. Yes, we ended up teaching the wife of the mafia king this past week here in Sete Lagoas. 

Firstly, she was young. And beautiful. We began the lesson off normal, talking about families and how God will always send us prophets to hear of the gospel of Christ. 

You know when you are out early in the morning before the sunrise, and it is darker than dark? That was more or less the shade of her eyes as we began. But by the time we got to The Savior´s earthly ministry, the sun began to rise. The girl´s eyes were twinkling and as we shared the first vision, without thinking twice sheasked to be baptized. Because welp, ``if it is really the church of God, it is the ONLY church with his power and authority!``

Way to go warrior queen. 

love
Juaquim is 67 years old. Orlinda is 65. The two were puppy lovers at the young age of 10 and 12. He loved her. she loved him. She moved away to another street and after sometime, became aquanted with other boys, and sadly was married and had 6 children before Juaquim found her again. (He too had his 7 children.) 

After the years went by, both spouses died and 27 years ago he found Orlinda, yet again. They dated for a year, but Orlinda didnt want to marry, she had already had that experience and was wanting just a friend. So for the past 27 years Juaquim goes to her home every day. They make lunch together, they laugh together. Orlinda is sick with cancer and heart problems, so he takes care of her, and as she lays in the hammock he plays his guitar. 

We are teaching the two about being saved and being baptized and having the gospel in their lives. We thought the two were boyfriend/girlfriend, so the awkward ``do you have the desire to get married?`` question had to be asked. Orlinda started to laugh, and she laughed and laughed as Juaquim shook his head and looked at the floor. Orlinda, between gulps of air explained the past 27 years and how they were just friends.  It seemed apparent to me that Juaquim liked her. So looking at him I asked the obvious-you love her dont you?

He then looked up from the ground, at Orlinda then back to me and said

``Oh Sister Sackley, I have always loved her. I have loved her since I was 12 years old. But I still have no idea if she likes me back.``

He then looked back to her, and as their eyes met, she winked. 

and i giggled. 

love you all, sister mad

1 comment:

  1. You are a cutie Madison! I love the messages and the pictures!

    ReplyDelete