Tuesday, June 12, 2012

MONDAY, June 11, 2012

Hey-o!

Alright I am safe and sound in Mesa, Arizona!

getting here stories:

The plane we took was a four people across plane and it was quite small. Also, the guy I sat next to was AWESOME. I sit down and the minute I sit down I noticed he texted a friend some choice words exclaiming how angry he was that he had to sit next to a missionary. I thought "oy this is going to be a looong flight!" And then I decided I should probably pray to be able to talk to him, and that I hoped to change his opinion on missionaries.

Well before we even took off he let me know he wasn't Mormon and that his family was but that he had no interest in the church because of different things he has found in his adult life. I'm talking to him about the weather when he says this...so I'm all "oh..........okay........." And then I asked him about his family and just asked very broad questions. He had his dr. dre head phones waiting to go into his ears so I decided to try hard to talk to him the whole plane ride so he couldn't listen to his music. I asked him about work and where he was going and family and all the basics. He asked me about a few brief things like where I was going and I tried hard not to get too preachy on him.

After about an hour of talking about everything from his travels to Florida to how his parents left the church, we discussed how God loves all his children and that even if you don't go to church every Sunday, if you're doing your best, then you're doing great. I told him that sometimes I feel closer to Heavenly Father on the top of mountains than in an actual church building. He agreed and told me about a few experiences he had had on top of the mountains and in nature. I briefly explained that the prophets always talked about having experiences "on the top of mountains". We chatted the entire plane ride and by the end of the ride, he had said a few times "I have no desire to be a member now, but a few years from now, maybe."

As we got off the plane he said "thank you for talking with me. And for not trying to get a referral from me." I told him I'd let him slide this one time if he promised that when sisters knocked on his door years from now, he'd let them in. He laughed and then I went to find the mission president.

Which is a funny story too because I'm walking towards baggage and some dude is all "oy sister! Your friend is waiting for you, oh my (bad words) I can't believe I am talking to a Mormon Missionary! You just glow, as you walked around the corner I just knew you were who she was looking for!" I was a little confused, he then told me he was a Christian and that his missionaries go to South America to build churches. I told him how fantastic that was and then said good bye. Mostly because I am super awkward these days and can't remember how to end conversations well. I then met Sister Ellsworth in the baggage area, from far away she looked like she could have been my companion. President Ellsworth followed quickly after and we then waited for another VW (visa waiter) in the lobby....and while waiting he conducted my interview and Sister Ellsworth bought us cookies from Paradise....which was of course, heavenly.

finding out my area.....

So as I am waiting with the President for the other sister to come in I let him know that I had family EVERYWHERE here. He told me how great that was and that if I ever saw them to make sure to say hello and hug everyone, but that I shouldn't set up a time to run into them because my companion would probably feel bad. And then within the same sentence he said "but you will LOVE the area you are going to. I can just tell YOU WILL LOVE IT" And then he proceeded to not tell me where I was to be going for a few moments....So he looks it up and is all you're with Sister Snodgress and Sister Soifua. (Utah and American Samoa). They are a great companionship. they live in a basement of a home with members, they have a big grey truck and they are on the res. .........you know, like the Apache reservation in Scottsdale.

So as I type right now, I am in a little community center and there are native Americans all around me. And. it. is. awesome. I am so excited about it. The Sisters I am with are way sweet and I am so excited to be in a little closed off area in mesa. They've been telling me all about how incredible these people are and I can already tell it's going to be an exciting few weeks here. My mission president's wife gave us grapefruits off her tree in the back yard and I think this week starts the beginning of my goal to like fruit. We were in the mission office for a while and there were a ton of sisters in there we were all chatting with. When they heard i was going to the res they were all "no fair that area is awesome!" ....in fact, I think I might be okay with never going to Brazil.

 Brincadeira. maybe. Also, i think i spelled Brincadeira wrong. fail.

welp that's all for now!

love you all,
sister mad


p.s. here's my address:
Arizona Mesa Mission
6265 north 82nd street
scottsdale, AZ 85250

No comments:

Post a Comment