Thursday, August 29, 2013

MONDAY- August 26, 2013


the hope of God's light

Dear Blog Readers, 

This past week flew by. Really honestly. And I have like seventeen million stories I need to tell you-but I have no time to tell them all, and it is quite tempting to just not tell anything. We had a few miracles, a few life changing moments, a gun scare, a super good church lesson, a night of running through the favela and even a carrot cake i made last night. Like I said, i could talk for hours. But I decided to share a sad story. Because welp, the world needs more sadness, right? 

His name is Marcos, he is 26. He´s tall, and has these huge brown eyes that provide a perfect hole into his soul. Because really, when you look at him, his eyes tell all. Marcos has an addiction. He is my very first investigator with an addiction. And it is a rollar coaster with Marcos.  We met him in a field, flying a kite with his 4 year old son, Julian. (hoo-lee-an) I might name a child after Julian. 

Here is their short story-Marcos was addicted to drugs. Real bad. Until he got some girlfriend pregnant, and she wound up being more addicted then he was. After 9 months she dropped baby Julian off and that was the end of the so-called girlfriend. When Marcos met Julian, he realized he needed to change. And so change, he did. He moved in with his mother, and he got a job. and a counselor, and a bag of sweets. And he quit bad stuff once and for all. Or so he thought. 

We have been working with Marcos for about a month now. People I wont lie, but i can not even begin to describe how much i love marcos and Julian. Marcos is without a doubt, the best father i have ever seen in my entire life. He takes care of Julian like the hen takes care of her chicks in Doctrine and Covenants. Anyways, he was wanting to change. And so in come the sisters and Marcos starts reading the Book of Mormon, and going to church and feeling the spirit, and the need to be baptized. We marked his baptism for this past Sunday. He was excited. We were happy for him. 

And then Saturday came, and Marcos didnt pick up the phone, and he wasnt at the house. It wasnt until 4 in the afternoon that he finally called us back. He was drunk, and sorry, but on the other side of town. We marked to meet up later...later came, and Marcos wasnt home. We called again, and again and again, and then we found Marcos, sitting on the curb, in the dark, all by himself, crying. 

Have you ever seen a grown man cry? I mean, really. Like drunk, and vomit down his front, with crazy red eyes, whimpering? 

We sat down on the cement and waited for a long while. I have learned in mission work, you can teach, and help people a whole lot more if you just keep quiet. Let them do the talking. We kept quiet as i looked up at the southern cross. And then Marcos very quietly spoke-help. 

People. I have no idea how to help a grown man get over his addictions. Or help a widow get over the sadness, or help anyone for that matter. But i know where they can get the help. That is the secret to mission work. 

Yes, from time to time our lives may seem to be touched by, or even wrapped in, darkness. Sometimes the night that surrounds us will appear oppressive, disheartening, and frightening. 

My heart grieves for the many sorrows some of you face, for the painful loneliness and wearisome fears you may be experiencing. 

Nevertheless, I bear witness that our living hope is in Christ Jesus! He is the true, pure, and powerful entrance to divine enlightenment. 

I testify that with Christ, darkness cannot succeed. Darkness will not gain victory over the light of Christ. 

I bear witness that darkness cannot stand before the brilliant light of the Son of the living God! 

I invite each of you to open your heart to Him. Seek Him through study and prayer. Come to His church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Learn of him and his gospel, participate actively, help each other, and joyfully serve God. 

Brothers and sisters, even after the darkest night, the Savior of the world will lead you to a gradual, sweet, and bright dawn that will assuredly rise within you. 

As you walk toward the hope of God´s light, you will discover the compassion, love and goodness of a loving Heavenly Father, in whom there is no darkness at all. 

-President Dieter F Uchtdorf

Until next week, 
love to all and to all a good night, 
sister mad

Pictures
 count the bites bro. 


 and the american sisters!



 our faithful ward missionaries (we love them)

 my favorite irma

marcos (he thought he looked like jesus 

 and JEANS



No comments:

Post a Comment