Tuesday, July 06, 2010

a waiting place



tonight I was talking to my room girl Katie about...well life...
and the waiting game.
Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Because Katie was totally confused as to what I  meant. So here it goes:



…for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.
Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.

Do you ever find yourself here? Because I use to all the time.
waiting for my jeans to fit
for a boy to call
for the reassurance that'll never come
for parents to come home
for school to start
for school to end
for money to come
for hours to go
for my birthday
for a friend 
for your favorite t.v. show to come on
for mail to come
for anything you could possibly think of.


And you know what? It's exhausting, or so I've decided. Because no matter what... You'll never be out of the waiting room if you just keep finding excuses. 
Which is why this summer I have left the waiting room. No more waiting, at least as little as I can handle. And it's so friggin rad! 


4 comments:

  1. this was lovely!
    tre madison.
    waiting = pits, i don't do it much.
    unfortunately that's all this summer has been... but i only have a month left to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...very interesting concept. I've never heard it put in quite that way before, but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, i understand completely what you mean!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Dr. Seuss! And the way you make everything positive. Even the waiting place :) pretty much I just love you.

    ReplyDelete