bahahaha sorry that title makes me laugh just a little too hard.
It's no secret that I am mormon. I wear a CTR ring, I don't swear/drink/smoke/drink coffee/and I don't work on Sundays. For anyone that knows anything about Mormons, I am a dead giveaway.
However, my coworkers don't.
Here's my secret: I don't tell anyone I'm mormon. If they straight up asked, I wouldn't lie, but I don't bring it up. Why? Because if you've ever spoken to someone who is gay, or has gay friends, or is plain ignorant or literally retarded, you would get such questions thrown at you:
- How many moms do you have?
- Why are you in public school...don't you have tons of money to go to private schools?
- Don't Mormons have like a third lung or something? I thought you could breathe under water...
- You aren't ever allowed to have sex right? Like...how do you reproduce?
- Aren't you and your siblings suppose to be like...stepford children?
For some, you know exactly what I am talking about. I have been asked the above questions more times than I can remember. AND I HATE IT. So ever since I started working, I've made it my goal by the end of my work there, for them all to have a normal opinion on Mormons...not the stupid opinion they get from the media or internet.
I knew tonight was going to come sooner or later. I just wasn't expecting it so soon I guess. Long day at work, filled with absolutely nothing. My two coworkers I was working with are outspoken and I've already heard their opinions before on those "crazy mormons".
A family came in tonight that screamed mormon. I could tell from the minute they walked in. They went and sat outside as we kept our conversation going about religion {it's always either religion or drugs...}. I mentioned that the family outside HAS to be mormon. Here are the following responses:
- They don't look Mormon, they look too normal for that
- They bought cookies, mormons don't eat sugar do they?
- Yeah for sure they don't. That's indulging in something...and they don't do that...
- Oh and look they only have two kids. Theres no way they are mormon.
I insisted they were, and when the mother came back in to get more cookies, I got her to come out and say it. {I flashed my CTR ring at her}. Which concluded in us conversing about such things as wards, bishops, MTC, FHE and Utah Family Reunions.
And just like that, my coworker's knew my secret.
Which came with a surprising outcome. Instead of them being confused or offended that I was able to get so much out of them without them knowing I was mormon, they asked me such questions as
- What do you believe in?
- I thought Mormons were crazy...
- How many kids are in your family?
- How many moms do you have?
And the best part? They both came to the conclusion that Mormons weren't as bad as they thought after all.
Touchdown! Now onto my gay coworkers...that might be a little more difficult.




No comments:
Post a Comment