Monday, September 16, 2013

MONDAY- September 16, 2013

that one time we had a really bad day


Dear Blog Readers, 

Hellooooo!

Love, sister mad. 



hahahah my mother just had a heart attack. Can you believe that this week marks 2 years since sister mad decided to serve a mission? On wednesday the 18th,  we hit the big 2 year mark. I can not believe it has been 2 years. Can you? Wowzers.

Anyways, Saturday night we remembered we had to give talks the following morning...and we were all...freak out!!! And after a solid ten minutes of kicking the dirt around and ordering pizza, we decided to start writing such talks. The preperation lasted until about 1 o´clock in the morning when sister sackley hit the bed and couldnt stay up any later. So we set the alarm and woke back up again at 4:30am to finish the talks. 

Yeah. So sister mad and sister yamaguchi are like, you know, running on empty by that point and the day has yet to start. We get ready for church, go to pick up our investigators and find that the baptisms that were marked decided to just you know, go sleep somewhere else for the night instead of go to church. Yep, we went to church without anyone. win. 

We have an eternal investigator in the ward who comes all by himself to church. Yesterday he came drunk, and decided to announce in front of everyone that he wanted to sit next to the princess, and for the entire second hour he cooed at sister yamaguchi and the whole class laughed. I almost peed. 

We end church with sacrament meeting. And so we were nervous about our talks until the final hour. And then, just as I was getting ready to stand up and speak, the power went out. Have you ever heard an american screaming portugues? It sounds probably like nacho libre. 

The whole rest of the day we were running after less actives and contacts and trying to get our numbers put together for the week. After looking through the numbers and all the visits we needed to do, we called up some irmãs in the ward to go on splits with. And that is where the bad day got worse. 

So yeah, long story short sister yamaguchi needed the keys, and sister sackley had them so sister sackley makes the great mistake of trying to throw the keys at the asian and instead of throwing straight (i get my throwing skills from a duck i tell you) i threw them at the slugbug that was parked nearby. 

And thus begins the search for our house keys. The search started out with just us and the two irmãs, and ended with us, them, a kind young man, a little boy with a flashlight, an old woman and all the concerned neighbors. We were so desperate (there is no AAA or anyone to open the door, and it was sunday so we had no way of calling anyone from BH to get here) I got down on the ground and stuck my head under the old bug. Lets not talk about how many terds and suspicious lumps I picked up thinking it was the keys. After about 2 hours, a prayer and even a few attempts of picking the car up, we realized it was no use, and called it quits. 

The assistants called at that point and had the brilliant idea to ask a recent convert (...who had a...sketch life before) to try and get the door open. Jerfeson then came with a grin on his face with us to our house to try and force the door....good news, even ex-con men cant get the door open.

Long story short, we ended up sitting in the Bishop´s home until about 10 at night, when Bishop finally arrived from his meetings. He grabbed every key he had in the house and we set off again to try and open the door. I dont really know how to explain how the door opened, or how on earth Bishop had a key that fit into the lock, but honestly it was the power of the prayer of two exhausted sisters that the door finally opened. 

Around 11 at night, we stuck the sofa against the door (to keep it safe for the night), changed clothes and collapsed on the bed. Sister Yamaguchi wanted to take a shower so she hopped in as I tried to stay awake. Not a few moments later screams came from the bathroom and I go running in to see flames coming from the shower head. 

Yep. That is the day in this missionary´s life. 

A new sister asked me this past week if every single day of my mission has been hunky dorey. I thought about the conversation last night. No. In no means is it anywhere near perfect. That was the first thing I told her. She cocked her head to the side and said ``But you are always so happy!``

And I am. I am really, really, really happy. But as I have learned these past few months, happiness doesnt happen when you have a great day. Happiness happens when you have a great attitude. Sort of the come what may and love it feeling. You should have seen me laughing last night at 11:30 as I saw our shower head burning. You should have seen me laughing as I chucked dog poop out of the way looking for the keys. Or shouting my talk. 

Life is so funny. Why waste it being frustrated?


Love, sister mad


PICTURES
















No comments:

Post a Comment