grass, gypsys and acne
Dear Blog Readers,
My prayers are to those of you who are in the states and all the shootings that are going on there. You would be interested to know that the Brasillians are praying for you all there. And they all want us to know all about how horrible the place we come from is. That someone could just kill children! Needless to say, the brasillians are very thoughtful and are praying for you all from far away.
And on a completely different note.
I love grass. I love it. I think i might miss more than anything the feeling of walking through grass during the summer with no shoes on. Here in Brasil, we have little grass. And the grass we have, you can not walk on. or through. Because welp...its tiny little patches. Keep this in mind when i tell you about how I met Carmen Lucia this past week. We were a little early to a previously scheduled appointment and the woman was not there. right as we were about to leave, i noticed another woman struggling with a big bad of garbadge. I offered to help her and the minute she caught my eye she said in perfect english ``oh sister i have been waiting for you!``. I was caught off guard to say the least. But soon enough we have the garbadge out of the yard and i look in her gate door to see GRASS. People. Seriously. Just like a big full yard of GRASS. and a few mango trees with very large, ripe mangos. I couldnt help but gawk and she started to laugh and told us to come on inside.
Carman Lucia is wealthy. That is a big big understatement too. The first part of her land is a large grassy mound with banana trees and mango trees. after the hill of perfect grass, you walk up to another orchard filled with another type of mango tree. And tree swings and an ancient play structure any child could get lost for hours playing in. Then there is a pavillion with fooseball and air hockey, and then up to her actual house that is in reality three houses, with a pool in the middle, along with a very large high school sized gym with workout equipment and a large gymnist mat. Visitng Carman Lucia consists of picking out a mango from the orchard, washing it, sucking the juices out and then being absorbed into her leather couch while answering her questions of God. She talked to the elders about 10 years ago. Shes interested to learn more. The woman was made to be a member of the church. I tell you she is golden.
Sometimes I catch myself really just daydreaming. I wont lie. I just sit there and realize...holy cow, this is real life. THIS IS REAL LIFE. And i have to pinch myself because it is so different than anything i could ever have experienced in any other way. Mission life is the best, craziest adventure you could ever have.
Which leaves me to -the gypsys. Yeah. That is how crazy this life is. We have gypsys in our area. And this past week i found myself teaching pauliana, an 18 year old gypsy who dresses like Meg (from hercules) and has been married for 6 years...yyou know since she was 12. And she lives in a tent with her husband. and they just...live off the land and make a living off of stealing electricty from the wires and selling horses.
umm yeah. mission life is THE life.
So with this all being said, sister sackley and sister anderson have been working. HARD. Like, we leave the house somedays at 10 and arent home until 9`:30 on the dot. and we make it home ontime only because we have run full speed to get there. This past week we had 33 lessons with a member present. It is stressful and crazy and we have a lot of moments laying in bed at 11 o´clock after planning everything just exhausted. But i really wouldnt have it any other way...except that the stress has made its way onto my head. Its very favorite place to stay. and brasillians dont have acne. So they think this red blochy business is super weird and they have all sorts of advice and stories about people they know dying from acne. (yeah right).
I ended on an awkward note but i have nothing else to say. Love you all, have a fabulous week-stay out of the shooting scene!
sister mad
No comments:
Post a Comment