Thursday, August 16, 2012

WEDNESDAY - August 1, 2012


Hello Everyone!

This week in one word-FAITH. Holy holy holy cow.

First though-i am loving Brazil. no one speaks English and everyone is all speak English to me! Its very strange to be in such a new environment that is for sure. I am loving the people, they are beautiful and so is the city....but....

So I had a little anxiety attack this past Monday night. I should also add that I realized this past week I hate big cities. And I live in a HUGE one. We work all day in the favelas and I think a lot of my stories might have to wait until after the mission....We leave the favelas by sunset because its not safe by then and on Monday it was past sunset when we were leaving. I was freaking out because the home we were in right before wasn't very sturdy and my wild imagination kept picturing earthquakes and us all coming crashing down. And to make it worse, fireworks were going off. I am getting really good at telling the difference between gun shots and fireworks, but still they scare me.

So anyways, we are walking back and I just had a panic moment and went into shock and did a little girl tantrum in the middle of the freaking favela.  And all the black guys are all why is this white girl here....and CRYING?!

Anyways, we left fast and Elder Brierly gave me a blessing as soon as we got back to the safe parts of the city. He spoke in English, thank goodness and told me exactly what i needed to here. The Lord didn't send me to Brazil to die, and I felt very safe after that. I would love prayers for safety and feeling safe though.

If there is one thing I have realized this past week, it is to have faith in the Lord. There are lots of things to be worried about, lots of things to be scared of or doubt....but when you trust in the Lord, everything will work out. I thought I had a lot of faith before my mission, turns out I am just now learning what faith is. My situation has not changed whatsoever, but my feelings about the area are so much better and i feel safe here. The Lord will not leave you comfortless.

With that being said, my mission is now just email mom and dad mission. If you email me, i can not open it and i can not respond. I wish I could! If you have any questions for me or anything to tell me, please please just contact my parents or Mallory or something and they can send it to me. Also I wouldn't hate getting letters....just saying :)

You would think that being in Brazil I would have baptisms up the whazoo, however we do not. An Elder made the mistake of telling me my area is the hardest in the mission my first day here...thanks....Apparently there have been transfers where no one baptizes in the area....but you know what? We are experiencing miracles and have had a few great people to teach this past week. I think we have a great transfer ahead of us. The Lord has people prepared and we just have to find them.

Okay last story-my goal here in Brazil is to not let anyone know that I hate fruit...not even my companions....so yesterday we got fed bananas with ice cream for dessert....and if you don't remember, I gag when it comes to bananas. So I am thinking okay trial of my faith here we go. And I start eating. And I ate it so fast so that I wouldn't gag. and I didn't and the lady thought i liked the bananas so she gave me ANOTHER. That time around i gagged but it sounded more like a cough and then swallowed little bites of banana whole. Someday ill get over that fear i swear.

Also sorry there are no pictures this week, I brought my camera but forgot the connector. I promise pictures next!

Love you all, Sister Mad


p.s. pray for Elder Webb (my MTC comp) he got very sick and had to go home. Keep him in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment